Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Braindump: JRPGs

 JRPG: Japanese RolePlaying Games

This usually mainly refers to computer games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior/Hero Quest, Grandia, etc. They all have several tropes that I like and have from tim
e to time been trying to emulate in our regular TableTop RPG system. Being immersed in Troika! as I've been, trying to meld it with Keep on the Borderlands, I think Troika! might be one of the best contenders to highlight the weird and whacky that these games often have. Player Characters are completely out there, as are the monsters/adversaries and the general story line is usually really weird as well.

Grand Mage by Eoghan Kerrigan
Grand Mage by Eoghan Kerrigan: https://www.deviantart.com/eoghankerrigan

So yeah... I guess, be prepared to see an overhaul again on the work I already did on my Keep on the Borderlands work.

The main thing I like is how they take a concept without much context and create their own context for it. That and hilarious mistranslations and misconceptions and the melding of cultural concepts. I've been listening to a Flemish podcast about the history of these lands (specifically the house of Burgundy) and think I might use that as a starting point for my knights and the realm in which the Keep will be. It might mean having to do some research, but again, not too much, as the JRPG weirdness sauce needs for it to be misunderstood a bit and taken in a completely different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Roll 4 Shoes Adventure: DISASTER at Princess Pumpernickel’s Magical Birthday Cooking Competition! (version 1)

A mashed potato monster found on the internet  DISASTER at Princess Pumpernickel’s Magical Birthday Cooking Competition *** Princess Pumpern...