Saturday, March 20, 2021

Hacking How To host a Dungeon

I got notified that there's a Itch.io Game Jam where you basically have a year to make/design a Megadungeon. And dang it, is my brain not tickled by that!

I had a few ideas floating around but then a game project with some kids in school fell flat and they want to keep playing a kind of rpg-type game at the end of class like we used to. I was thinking of playing Do: Pilgrims of the flying temple, but then with this Jam in mind I'm also thinking of playing Tony Dowler's How To Host a Dungeon. I'm almost done translating it to Dutch, and hacking it in the process to make it suitable for my classes. Can't play religion class and let them play demons and devils and stuff. Making things all d6 based because, especially with Corona, they will all need to have their own dice, and I'm not planning on buying a bunch of new dice sets. I've got a lot of d6 though, and it's the die they know best too.

As said I've been hacking it along the way, basing it on the original (not the v2 that's in playtest now, since that's a bit too involved for what I'm planning, with all the cards and the shuffling.) and making it less based on pre-existing knowledge of DnD and it's races and monsters and tropes. Once I finished a first draft I'm planning on putting that on my Itch.io in Dutch and once we ran it I plan on making a megadungeon out of that. But who knows if we ever get that far.

So far I'm not deviating from the format all that much, but I might post some things on here as I come up with things. I've been thinking about how to do monsters. I'm thinking of having them create/invent their own, possibly with prompts or random dice rolls. I'm thinking it might be a bit like Trent from Miscast's Monsterbash ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Roll 4 Shoes Adventure: DISASTER at Princess Pumpernickel’s Magical Birthday Cooking Competition! (version 1)

A mashed potato monster found on the internet  DISASTER at Princess Pumpernickel’s Magical Birthday Cooking Competition *** Princess Pumpern...